The Sicily Calendar of Events in February covers Valentine and wine events as well as the grand Carnevale celebration. We have also included the feasts and food festivals during this month.
Sicily Calendar of Events in February
Are you visiting Sicily in February? Winter is here but not the kind of Winter that you expect. The temperature is cold but very tolerable. Snow is quite uncommon in major cities. Though we get excited when it happens. Mountain villages tend to have them generally on bad weathers creating beautiful white scenery. Mount Etna has basically snow for the entire season. As the landscape queen of Sicily, you can see it from afar. If you are visiting any higher land areas in Sicily, make sure to prepare proper gears. Keep yourself warm but not overdo it. February is the love month so there are so many romantic packages in restaurants and other travel-related businesses in Sicily. You can also join the local crowd celebrating the many lively Carnevale parades.
CARNEVALE in Tutto Sicilia (various locations) – February 11th to March 5th)
Undoubtedly, one of the best-known event that made Italy a prominent figure in world festivals. During the Carnevale, not only the city of Venice transforms itself as a significant venue for masquerade balls. But also entire Italy including Sicily. It is a crowded event on the island that lasted either for a week or sometimes even a month. Theatrical presentations, as well as colourful parades, dramatise the parade. Together with the skyline illuminated by a fireworks display, Carnevale is a spectacular event. The festival is everywhere in Sicily, mostly in central plazas in general. Children and some adults dressed in costumes. It is like the equivalent of Halloween, minus the horror and very much fancier. Below is the list of places that offer the Best Carnevale experience in Sicily!
CARNIVALS IN PALERMO
- Carnevale di Corleone in the province of Palermo
from February 28th to March 5th. The town of Corleone is not only known as the birthplace of Godfather’s Don Corleone but also the ‘U Riavulicchiu’ or the devil, the main character of the Corleone Carnival held from February 28th to March 5th. Costumed in frightening red devils, the group of entertainers dance, tease and scare the public. There are following ceremonies after that to cease the devil’s nightmares.
- Carnevale di Termini Imerese from February 28th to March 5th is one of the most important Carnevale celebrations in Sicily with a history dating back in 1876. The program involves traditional parades of mystical work of the art floats and costumed dance performers. There are other series of activities to enjoy too like the Sagra dei “Maccaruna ‘nta maidda” which promotes Termini Imerese’s typical homemade macaroni pasta dish.
- Carnevale a Bisacquino from February 28th to March 5th is the oldest Carnivale festival in Sicily which offers a week of dance evenings, float parades and orchestra music.
- Carnevale di Balestrate from February 28th to March 5th offers a different flair for the usual Carnevale, less fancy but more intimate celebrations from simple, colourful parades to pastor dance and nights of fun and music.
CARNIVALS IN AGRIGENTO
- Carnevale di Sciacca in Agrigento is from February 28th to March 5th. It is an annual tradition for more than 100 years. Claims believe that its origin might have dated back during the Roman era. It’s a special occasion for the people of Sciacca and nearby villages, festivities include masked parades, candies, and stunning floats.
CARNIVALS IN MESSINA
- Carnevale di Gioiosa Marea in Messina is from February 28th to March 5th. It is another joyous gathering. Everyone flocked on the streets to watch the cart parades. Some open their houses to welcome masked visitors and play a guessing game to reveal the face behind the mask.
- Carnevale Acquedolcese in Acquedolci Messina is from February 28th to March 5th. It attracts thousands of people especially to witness the amazing display of allegorical Chariots. You can also see handcrafted costumes of the townspeople.
- Carnevale di Antillo in Messina is a simple but very memorable celebration of Carnevale. Aside from the usual costume and musical parades. Organized halls for the residents to dance their heart out or at least try it to are also available.
- Francavillese Carnival in Francavilla di Sicilia is from February 28th to March 5th.
- Carnevale di Piraino
- Cattafese Carnival in San Filippo Mela
- Carnival in Santa Lucia del Mela
- Carnevale a Capo D’Orlando
- Carnevale di Rodì Milici
- Sagra di Carnevale a Larderia
CARNIVALS IN TRAPANI
- Valderice Carnival in Trapani is from February 28th to March 5th. It is overall a 27 years tradition of Carnevale festival. Together with the effort of the community, it becomes a big party. It is full of joy and lots of fun every year.
- Carnevale Egadino
- Carnevale di Petrosino
CARNIVALS IN SYRACUSE
- Carnevale di Palazzolo Acreide in Syracuse is from February 28th to March 5th. It is one of the oldest carnival tradition in Sicily. The costumed spectators welcome large symbolic floats of mechanical puppets during the parade. The Carnivale exhibits the craftsmanship of the local artisans as well as the local produce. The town celebrates it yearly with a food festival.
- Carnevale di Avola
CARNIVALS IN CATANIA
- Carnevale di Misterbianco in Catania is our personal favourite. It is from February 28th to March 5th. “Creativity and craftsmanship at the service of tourism” is the motto of this Carnevale celebration. With energetic parades of marvellous costumed performers and tastings events.
- Carnevale di Acireale in Catania is also among the most beautiful Carnival in Sicily. It is from February 23rd to March 5th. The streets are filled with lively music, vibrant lights, spectacular masquerade parade and people having a blast.
- La Carrivalata a San Cono
CARNIVAL IN RAGUSA
- Carnevale a Chiaramonte Gulfi in Ragusa is from February 28th to March 5th. It is where fun meets folklores while converging with food treats. The entire village joins in the party in masked and medieval costumes. They dance with the music and enjoy until midnight. The town of Chiaramonte Gulfi also boasts its famous pork cuisine during these days. the Sausage Festival.
CARNIVALS IN ENNA
- Carnival Street Food a Regalbuto is part of the one month Carnevale Celebration of the town of Regalbuto. Residents celebrate it every first Sunday of February. There are also food stands of typical Carnevale delights such as bignè and star sweets. You should not miss the cannoli, chocolate fountain and much more too.
More Sicily Calendar of Events in February below
CHOCOLATE FESTIVALS in Sicily – February 12th to 21st
Also known as the chocolate fair, this week-long event invites visitors to literally, taste la dolce vita!
- Festa del Cioccolato a Paternò from February 8th to 11th is a four-day chocolate festival and everything made of it. Anything with a heavenly hint of chocolate featuring sweet pastries, chocolates, and chocolate sculptures, they are here.
- Chocolate Festival in Castellammare del Golfo is from February 1st to 4th. Similarly, with Paterno, the organizers at Castellammare also invite master chocolatiers to showcase their chocolate artworks. They offer the public to test them through their food stands.
- Festa del Cioccolato a Piedimonte Etneo.A sweet event not to miss, party of tasty chocolates and delicacies in Piedimonte Etneo.
- ChocoMoments Novara is from February 17th to 19th. It is an explosion of deliciousness. ChocoMoments organized workshops, chocolate making a demonstration and chocolate testing for all participants.ì
San Valentino/Valentine’s Day/La Festa Degli Innamorati – February 14th
Whichever we want to call Valentine’s Day, love unites all languages. Celebrate the day of love at one of the most romantic islands on Earth, Sicily. Promise an endless love with the breathtaking panoramas of the Valley of the Temples. Sail into an intimate cruise in the Mediterranean sea. Prepare a date at the beach admiring the sunsets. Visit charming villages. Get a romantic dinner with authentic Sicilian cuisines. Or walk in any old towns. Hence, anything you fancy is possible in Sicily. Propose, celebrate and love in the magical island of Sicily.
Sagre in Febbraio or Sicilian February Festivals
- MandorlARA Sagra del Mandorlo a Tavola
- Sagra Maccarruna ‘ntà maidda a Termini Imerese
- Sagra Arancia rossa di Sicilia IGP a Centuripe
Saint Feast Day for February in Sicily
The Feast of Sant’ Agata in Catania is from February 3rd to 5th. It is one of the most intense feasts in Sicily honouring the patron saint of Catania, Saint Agatha. A large number of devotees join the religious event following the mass to long hours of a procession.
- Feast of Maria Santissima della Candelora in Villafranca Tirrena
- San Biagio Feast in Militello Rosmarino, Castell’Umberto and Salemi
- Madonna del Soccorso Feast in Sciacca
- Saint Agatha Feast in Alì Superiore
- Festa di San Corrado a Noto
- Festa di San Gerlando ad Agrigento
Domenica al Museo
The Italian Ministry of Beni Culturali invites everyone to visit the museums every first Sunday of the month for free. This program is to promote the cultural heritage of Italy for both locals and tourists. Depending on the city, there are other municipalities that offer free entrance on other dates. Please make sure to check with their official sites to avail them.
Giornata Internazionale della Guida Turistica
Meanwhile, every 21st of February, yearly, tourist guides celebrate the International Tourist Guide Day. It is when licensed tourist guides can offer their services for free.
We hope that the list of Sicily Calendar of Events in February can help you with your travel to Sicily. Any questions, please also let us know.